Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Afraid; suffering from fear.
- Ellen was frightened after learning that the residents of a haunted house are dead and are now ghosts who still haunted here.
- Amy was frightened and ran away after the bedsheet Emma was wearing over her head scared her.
- He tried to persuade Cicely to stay away from the ball-room for a fourth dance. […] But she said she must go back, and when they joined the crowd again her partner was haled off with a frightened look to the royal circle, […].
afraid, suffering from fear
- See also Wikisaurus:afraid
- simple past tense and past participle of