get to grips with
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic, chiefly Britain) To deal (with something) decisively, or to confront (it) head on.
- (idiomatic, chiefly Britain) To battle (with something).
2011 November 11, Rory Houston, “Estonia 0-4 Republic of Ireland”, in RTE Sport:
- Estonia were struggling to get to grips with the game while Ireland were showing a composure and guile that demonstrated their experience in play-off ties.
- (idiomatic, chiefly Britain) To gain an understanding (of something).
- (to confront something directly): come to grips