Jump to navigation Jump to search
gnawing (plural gnawings)
- The process by which something is gnawed.
- the gnawings of mice
- A sensation of being gnawed.
- 1836, American Anti-Slavery Society, The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Part 1 of 4:
- The spirit of slavery raves under tormenting gnawings, and casts about in blind phrenzy for something to ease, or even to mock them.
- 1893, Marietta Holley, Samantha at the World's Fair:
- "If I made them suffer the pains of exile, I would not let them endure also the gnawings of starvation.
- 1917, Julian Street, American Adventures:
- But from the time we returned from our first journey, after having spent some months in trying, as some one put it, to "discover America," I felt the gnawings of excited appetite.