go to someone's head
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To strongly affect a person, especially to the detriment of his or her senses or mental faculties.
- 1903, Jerome K. Jerome, Robert Barr, Arthur Lawrence and Sidney Sime (editors), The Idler: an illustrated monthly magazine, vol. 22:
- Moreover, Dolores' promise had gone to my head like new wine.
- 2003, Homer, Emile Victor Rieu and D. Christopher H. Rieu (translators), The Odyssey:
- For I am a man of many sorrows. Yet there is no necessity for me to sit sobbing and sighing in someone else's house. Unremitting grief is tiresome and I'm afraid some of your maids or you yourself might lose patience with me and conclude it was the wine that had gone to my head and released this flood of tears.