Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
groomsman (plural groomsmen)
- A man who serves as one of a number of attendants to a bridegroom at a wedding, one of whom is the best man.
- 1888, Horatio Alger, The Errand Boy, Chapter XIV: Consulting the Oracle,
- "Philip," said Mr. Wilbur, "when I marry, I want you to stand up with me--to be my groomsman."
- 1894, Dabney Herndon Maury, Recollections of a Virginian in the Mexican, Indian, and Civil Wars, 6,
- There were eight bridesmaids and groomsmen, and I asked McClellan and Franklin to be of the number, but distant service prevented them from coming, and Burnside and Reno, of the Ordnance, took their places.
attendant to a bridegroom