Jump to navigation Jump to search
hamstring (plural hamstrings)
- (anatomy) One of the great tendons situated in each side of the ham, or space back of the knee, and connected with the muscles of the back of the thigh.
- (informal) The biceps femoris, semimembranosus, and semitendinosus muscles.
- Synonym: hams
- 2010, Adam Garett, "Fried Hams", Reps! 17:23
- Developing muscle around both sides of a joint (think biceps and triceps, abs and low back, quads and hamstrings) should be one of your primary training considerations because strength on each side leads to lower injury rates.
biceps femoris — see biceps femoris
- (transitive) To lame or disable by cutting the tendons of the ham or knee; to hough.
- (transitive, figuratively) To cripple; to incapacitate; to disable. [from 1640s]
- So have they hamstrung the valor of the subject by seeking to effeminate us all at home. - John Milton
- hoarding, the act of gathering or hoarding consumables in anticipation of a shortage (like a hamster hides food in its cheeks)
|Declension of hamstring|