Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Obsolete form of , haught (“high; haughty”).
Audio (US) (file)
- high (especially in terms of fashion, cookery or anything considered to be typically French)
- 1977 May, Jim Atkinson, “The Wizard of Oz (Ret.)”, in Texas Monthly, page 116, column 2:
- Monessons’s Oz, of course, was the ultimate new concept in Dallas dining: an exclusive, members-only restaurant/disco serving only the finest haute cuisine, wine, and liquor at very haute prices.
- 2001, CMJ New Music Monthly, page 23:
- Over the last five years, Japanese photographer Shoichi Aoki documented these fashion mavens, who combine haute pieces with homemade accessories, and printed them in ...
- 2004, Gary Baum, Victoria Namkung, Where to Wear: Los Angeles 2005, Where to Wear Global, →ISBN:
- Don't even think about handling the hangers in a careless way; if the haute pieces (1920s-1990s) don't already scream "Handle with care!", Rita might. The delicate designer darlings, […]
- 2018 February 21, Jessica Iredale, “Moschino RTW Fall 2018”, in Women’s Wear Daily:
- Scott shared backstage pre-show, stopping to issue the disclaimer that these theories already exist and live online. But he editorialized a bit in the name of fashion. “I take it one step further and ask, ‘Was Jackie an alien? Was she an android? How did she endure the pain and grieving of the assassination? All the ridicule about her being such a haute, snotty Bouvier too good to be an American icon? How did she do that if she was actually human?’”
- 2020 November 24, Baya Simons, “Goodbye, normal jeans: hello haute denim”, in Financial Times:
- Goodbye, normal jeans: hello haute denim / Sculpted, sophisticated, celebrity endorsed – these collaborations are giving denim a high-end spin […] Haute denim isn’t new, of course, but this season’s offering is different: a cache of fashion houses have sought out partnerships with traditional denim brands, combining an eye for design with decades of technical know-how. […] Whether it’s perking up your officewear or bringing some 2000s cool to your party look, haute denim is a good investment.
- 2023 September 25, Vanessa Friedman, “Should I Wear a Fleece to the Office?”, in The New York Times, New York, N.Y.: The New York Times Company, →ISSN, →OCLC, archived from the original on 2023-10-11:
- Coatigans can be found at all price levels from a variety of retailers, including Amazon, J. Crew and so on up to the very haute.
- IPA(key): (Navarro-Lapurdian) /hau̯te/ [hau̯.t̪e]
- IPA(key): (Southern) /au̯te/ [au̯.t̪e]
- Rhymes: -au̯te
- Hyphenation: hau‧te
- Third-person plural (haiek), taking informal second-person singular (hi) as direct object, present indicative form of .
See the etymology of the corresponding lemma form.
haute f (uncountable)
- “haute”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.