Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
hillbilly (plural hillbillies)
- (often pejorative) Someone who is from the hills; especially from a rural area, with a connotation of a lack of refinement or sophistication.
- A white person from the rural southern part of the United States, especially the Southeastern states.
- To emphasize one's rural or humble upbringing; to use unsophisticated charm.
1991, The Commonwealth Review - Volume 3, page 189:
- Hillbillying troubadors, the bohemians of a new world, not cafe society but more like the poor white origins of an Elvis Presley.
2002 April 1, Marie Brenner, “The Enron Wars”, in Vanity Fair:
- Like Ken Lay, [Rebecca] Mark came from a small town in Missouri, one of four children in a farm family with deep fundamentalist beliefs. Her conversational style has been polished in Texas, and she is a master of “hillbillying,” the trick of playing up one’s humble origins.
2004 April 30, Lesley Stahl, “Hardball”, in MSNBC:
- And Kerry doesn’t know how to hillbilly. And it is not a Texas thing, by the way. John F. Kennedy used to hillbilly us. And that meant that he flirted with us. He had a twinkle. Bill Clinton hillbillied us. And Kerry has got to learn how to do that. He has got to dial back and show some relaxed affability.
- To portray or act as an uneducated and unsophisticated fool.
2001, The New York Times Biographical Service, Volume 32, page 1540:
- I think that 20 to 30 years ago nonfundamentalists in America did make a great mistake by typing them, by hillbillying and backwoodsing and holy-rollering them.
2006, Laurel Snyder, Half/life: Jew-ish Tales from Interfaith Homes, ISBN 1933368241, page 25:
- God damned mother fuckin son of a bitch cock suckin' asshole, who the fuck does he think he is, that dumb ass, half-brained, hillbillied redneck, given me that Jew shit when he's coppin' money and nobody's got the balls to stand up to him and they're gonna let me take the rap?
- To perform or experience stereotypically hillbilly-like actions.
someone who is from the hills
white person from the rural southern United States