Jump to navigation Jump to search
redneck (plural rednecks)
- (slang, derogatory, offensive, ethnic slur) A poor, rural, usually white and male, person from the Southern United States or parts of the Midwest and northeast, especially one who has unsophisticated and backward beliefs; sometimes with additional connotations of being bigoted.
- 1989, “Fight the Power”, in Fear of a Black Planet, performed by Public Enemy:
- Sample a look back you look and find / Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check
- (historical, slang, US) Any of the miners who wore red bandanas for identification during the West Virginia mine war of 1921.
- (historical, slang, US) A member of a certain Baltimore street gang, active in 1859.
- (UK, archaic, 19th and 20th centuries) A Roman Catholic.
uneducated, unsophisticated person
- ^ “West Virginia Division of Culture and History”, in (please provide the title of the work), accessed 30 March 2008, archived from the original on 4 June 2013
- ^ The New York Times (New York, New York), 3 November 1859, Thu • Page 4
- ^ The Raleigh Register, (Raleigh, North Carolina), 19 March 1841, Fri • Page 2