Named after Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, the first Proprietary Governor of the Province of Maryland. "Baltimore" itself is an anglicization of Irish baile an tí mhóir, "town of the big house."
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈbɔl.tɪˌmɔɹ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbɔːltɪmɔː/
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /ˈbɔːltɪmo(ː)ɹ/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /ˈbɔːltɪmoə/
- Hyphenation: Bal‧ti‧more
- An independent city in central Maryland, United States.
- A coastal village in western County Cork, Ireland.
Baltimore (plural Baltimores)
- Synonym of