Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (military) A warm meal, usually cooked in a large pot, often similar to a stew or porridge; service of such a heated meal to soldiers.
1919, James Thayer Addison, The Story of the First Gas Regiment, page 150:
- I heard several of the enlisted men make the statement that Company C had provided hot mess for fully a thousand men of other units during the second day of the recent drive in and around Cheppy and Charpentry.
1974, Langdon Sully, No Tears for the General: The Life of Alfred Sully, 1821-1879, page 119:
- He provided for a hot mess and he got the men up off the floor with improvised bunks.
- (slang, idiomatic, especially Southern US) A situation or object in a state of extreme disarray.
- (slang, idiomatic, especially Southern US) A disheveled or unbalanced person, particularly one who is nevertheless — or therefore — attractive.
2003, Karyn Bosnak, Save Karyn: One Shopaholic's Journey to Debt and Back, page 271:
- My hair had two months of roots exposed. My brows were overgrown. I was a hot mess. And I was fat.
2005, Desiree Day, Crazy Love, page 72:
- "Girl, you're a hot mess, but we're cool," she assured her, but her next words were a warning. "But you really need to stop blurting out the first thing that comes to your mind..."
- 2009, Cobra Starship, Hot Mess (song on the album Hot Mess):
- Well, you're a hot mess and I'm falling for you, and I'm like hot damn, let me make you my boo, […] You're a hot mess, I'm loving it, hell yes!
person, thing, or situation in a state of disarray