Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To wet or stain an object completely with some physical quality.
- The shirt was imbued with his scent.
- In general, to act in a way which results in an object becoming completely permeated or impregnated by some quality.
- The entire text is imbued with the sense of melancholy and hopelessness.
- Imbue takes meaning from the word imbibe, which means "to absorb or to be filled with".
to wet or stain completely
to permeate or impregnate completely