in a nutshell
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) In summary; briefly or simply.
- He had a lot to say, but his answer, in a nutshell, was no.
- 2019, Daniel Taylor, Lionel Messi magic puts Barcelona in command of semi-final with Liverpool (in The Guardian, 1 May 2019)
- Sadio Mané wasted a glorious chance in the first half and, late on, Mohamed Salah turned his shot against a post after a goal-line clearance had spun his way. That, in a nutshell, perhaps sums up the difference between Messi and the players on the next rung below – the ones who can be described as great footballers without necessarily being football greats.
- 1899 February, Joseph Conrad, “The Heart of Darkness”, in Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine, volume CLXV, number M, New York, N.Y.: The Leonard Scott Publishing Company, […], OCLC 1042815524, part I:
- The yarns of seamen have a direct simplicity, the whole meaning of which lies within the shell of a cracked nut.