Jump to navigation Jump to search
nutshell (plural nutshells)
- The shell that surrounds the kernel of a nut.
- A short book summarizing an area of law.
- (nautical) A small boat; a boat considered small in comparison to the seas.
- 1886, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, H.L. Brækstad, transl., Folk and Fairy Tales, page 182:
- [A]t last the fishing-line stood straight out behind, and the stone weights jumped along the tops of the billows, while the seas - notwithstanding the guiding hand of the pilot sought to avoid them - broke over our little nutshell, and sent the spray high above mast and sail.
the shell that surrounds the kernel of a nut