Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (dated) Lack of self-restraint, an inability to control oneself; unchastity.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, Tom Jones, Folio Society, published 1973, page 119:
- Allworthy was sufficiently offended by this transgression of Jones; for notwithstanding the assertions of Mr Western, it is certain this worthy man had never indulged himself in any loose pleasures with women, and greatly condemned the vice of incontinence in others.
- (urology) The inability of any of the physical organs to restrain discharges of their contents; involuntary discharge or evacuation (of urine or feces).
lack of self-restraint
inability to restrain discharge
- “incontinence”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
- Douglas Harper (2001–2023), “incontinence”, in Online Etymology Dictionary.
incontinence f (plural incontinences)