Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The voluntary control of urination and defecation.
- Moderation or self-restraint, especially in sexual activity; abstinence.
- For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:continence.
- He knew what to say; he knew also, when to leave off, — a continence which is practiced by few writers.
- Jeremy Taylor
- Chastity is either abstinence or continence: abstinence is that of virgins or widows; continence, that of married persons.
- Uninterrupted course; continuity.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Ayliffe to this entry?)
voluntary control of urination and defecation
moderation or self-restraint, especially in sexual activity; abstinence
- “continence” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2018.