Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- enPR: jŭmp rōp, IPA(key): /dʒʌmp ɹəʊp/
- Noun: jump always stressed ("used a jump rope")
- Verb: rope sometimes stressed, but stress on jump also common ("let's jump rope" or "let's jump-rope")
- Verb tenses always as follows: jumps rope; jump ropes; jumping rope; jump roping; jumped rope; jump roped.
- (uncountable) (also jump-roping, jumping rope) The activity, game or exercise in which a person must jump, bounce or skip repeatedly while a length of rope is swung over and under, both ends held in the hands of the jumper, or alternately, held by two other participants. Often used for athletic training and among schoolchildren. Variations involve speed, chants, varied rope and jumper movement patterns, multiple jumpers and/or multiple ropes.
- The length of rope, sometimes with handles, casing or other additions, used in that activity.
- (colloquial) A single jump in this game or activity, counted as a measure of achievement.
game or activity
length of rope — see skipping rope
- (idiomatic) To repeatedly jump over a rope, the ends of which are held by the jumper or by two others, while the rope is swung under the feet and over the head of the jumper; to play the game of jump rope; to exercise by jumping rope.