Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈnʌkəl ˈsæn(d)wɪdʒ/, /-wɪtʃ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈnʌkəl ˈsænˌ(d)wɪtʃ/
- Hyphenation: knuck‧le sand‧wich
- (slang) A punch to the face, especially to the mouth.
2002 April 7, Ira Berkow, “Sports of the times: A Babe Ruth myth is stirred up again”, in The New York Times, archived from the original on 27 May 2015:
- Rather than an embrace, the Babe [Babe Ruth] would most assuredly like to have given a knuckle sandwich to the executives of that candy corps. Or hit them over the head with his 42-ounce bat.
2002, Tony Young; Dalton Higgins, “Cleft Palate/Harelip”, in Much Master T: One VJ's Journey, Toronto, Ont.: ECW Press, ISBN 978-1-55022-541-9, page 30:
- My brother Basil was probably the most protective of me. He would be willing to wallop anyone with a knuckle sandwich (knuckle sandwiches, not knives or guns, were big back then) who messed with me.