Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
madrepore (plural madrepores)
- A coral of the genus Madrepora or of the larger group Madreporaria.
1811, William Marsden, The History of Sumatra:
- The beauty of the madrepores and corallines, of which the finest specimens are found in the recesses of the Bay of Tappanuli, is not to be surpassed in any country.
1873, David Livingstone, Missionary Travels and Researches in South Africa:
- The rocks of Gonye are reddish gray sandstone, nearly horizontal, and perforated by madrepores, the holes showing the course of the insect in different directions.
- (archaic) Any stony coral.
1926, W.D. Sweeting, The Cathedral Church of Peterborough:
- This bay is approached from the choir by the first marble step which is in Frosterley, a marble with beautiful madrepores of light colour on a dark ground.
- plural of