See also: madrépore
madrepore (plural madrepores)
- A coral of the genus Madrepora or of the larger group Madreporaria.
- 1811, William Marsden, The History of Sumatra:
- The beauty of the madrepores and corallines, of which the finest specimens are found in the recesses of the Bay of Tappanuli, is not to be surpassed in any country.
- 1873, David Livingstone, Missionary Travels and Researches in South Africa:
- The rocks of Gonye are reddish gray sandstone, nearly horizontal, and perforated by madrepores, the holes showing the course of the insect in different directions.
- (archaic) Any stony coral.
- 1926, W.D. Sweeting, The Cathedral Church of Peterborough:
- This bay is approached from the choir by the first marble step which is in Frosterley, a marble with beautiful madrepores of light colour on a dark ground.
- plural of