Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: mobcap
- (chiefly historical) A plain cap or headdress for women or girls, especially one tied under the chin by a very broad band.
- You must get a brown gown, and a white apron, and a mob cap, and we must make you a few wrinkles, and a little of the crowsfoot at the corner of your eyes, and you will be a very proper, little old woman.
- 1970, John Glassco, Memoirs of Montparnasse, New York 2007, p. 161:
- She was dressed entirely in flowing black cerements and wore a little lacy mob-cap on a mass of dead-looking yellowish white hair; her features were still beautiful, but her face was completely covered with mauve face-powder.
- (modern-day use) A disposable head covering with an elasticated band, worn for cleanliness in industrial settings.