- (transitive, intransitive) To speak unintelligibly or inaudibly; to fail to articulate.
- Please try not to mumble so I can hear you better.
- Peace, you mumbling fool.
- A wrinkled hag, with age grown double, / Picking dry sticks, and mumbling to herself.
- To chew something gently with closed lips.
- See also Wikisaurus:mutter
to speak unintelligibly
mumble (plural mumbles)
- A quiet or unintelligible vocalization.
- All I could hear was a mumble from the next room.
- A low tone of voice.
- He spoke in a mumble.