Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- In a narrow manner; without flexibility or latitude.
- They regarded the new idea rather narrowly.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page viii
- There is now such an immense "microliterature" on hepatics that, beyond a certain point I have given up trying to integrate (and evaluate) every minor paper published—especially narrowly floristic papers.
- By a narrow margin; closely.
- They narrowly escaped collision.
2011 October 29, Neil Johnston, “Norwich 3 - 3 Blackburn”, in BBC Sport:
- The visitors had not managed an away win in the top flight since the final day of last season, but Mauro Formica set the tone in the second minute with a rasping 25-yard drive which flew narrowly wide.
by a narrow margin; closely