no spring chicken
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From the description of a young person as a spring chicken.
- (idiomatic) Said of a person who is no longer particularly young.
- He ran up three flights of stairs, and he's no spring chicken.
- 1908, Upton Sinclair, The Money Changers, ch. 5:
- You know the world. You are no spring chicken.
- 1943 May 10, "The Pot Boils," Time:
- A real candidate arose to challenge dapper Robert Rice ("Buncombe Bob") Reynolds, aging coxcomb of the Senate. The candidate, no spring chicken himself: tall, lean Clyde Roark Hoey (pronounced Hooey), 65, one of the most popular Governors the state ever had.
- 1981 Nov. 23, "Newest Sub, Oldest Sailor," Time:
- He doubtless hoped for a sympathetic ruling from President Reagan, at 70 no spring chicken himself.
person who is no longer particularly young