Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: opérant
- That operates to produce an effect.
- thy most operant poison
- 1955, Rex Stout, "When a Man Murders...", in Three Witnesses, October 1994 Bantam edition, ISBN 0553249592, page 117:
- I tell you frankly, if Paul Aubry is guilty I hope is convicted and punished; but if one of the others is guilty I hope he—or she—is punished, and if I knew anything operant to that end I certainly would not withhold it.
operant (plural operants)
- An operative person or thing.
- (psychology) Any of a class of behaviors that produce consequences by operating (i.e., acting) upon the environment.