See also: Protean
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈpɹəʊ.tɪ.ən/, /pɹəʊˈtiː.ən/
- (US) enPR: prō'ti-ən, prō-tē'ən, IPA(key): /ˈpɹoʊ.tɪ.ən/, /pɹoʊˈtiː.ən/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
- Exceedingly variable; readily assuming different shapes or forms.
- An amoeba is a protean animalcule.
- His plots and protean characters plunge readers into the world of fable, yet their universal appeal, as this biography shows, is deeply rooted in the particularity of Garcia Marquez’s own idiosyncratic early life...
- William A. Henry III:
- He loved to show off his protean talent.
- 1980, Gershon Legman, The New Limerick
- […] the word's protean expressiveness has been observed in a xeroxlore item printed in Robert Anton Wilson's Playboy's Book of Forbidden Words […]
- Of or pertaining to Proteus; characteristic of Proteus.
- (exceedingly variable; readily assuming different shapes or forms)
of or pertaining to Proteus; characteristic of Proteus