Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Unduly confident; arrogant; presumptuous; conceited.
- Here's an overweening rogue.
- She wins one modeling contest in Montana and suddenly she's overweening.
- 1870, Carl Schurz, George H. Thomas Eulogy
- No success rendered him overweening and no disaster was ever known to stagger his firmness.
- 1908, Frederic Bancroft and William A. Dunning, A Sketch of Carl Schurz's Political Career
- The Senate was displaying an overweening hauteur as if it were the government.
- Exaggerated, excessive
2015 January 4, Jonathan Rauch, “How to Make Men Free”, NY Times, accessed on 21050215:
- The idea that an overweening federal government is a threat to both freedom and equality (not to mention prosperity) goes back to Jefferson, James Madison, Patrick Henry and some other fairly respectable personages.
- (now rare) An excessively high opinion of oneself or one's abilities; presumption, arrogance.
- present participle of