Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Paronym
Coined around 1846 from Ancient Greek παρώνυμος (parṓnumos, “derivative”), equivalent to para- + -onym.
paronym (plural paronyms)
- (semantics) A word derived from the same root or stem as another word.
- Synonym: isonym
- Hyponyms: cognate, derivative
- (rare) A near-homophone, a word that sounds like another word.
word derived from the same root/stem — See also translations at cognate#Noun, derivative#Noun
word that sounds like another word
- English terms derived from Ancient Greek
- English terms prefixed with para-
- English terms suffixed with -onym
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms derived from Proto-Indo-European
- English terms derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *preh₂-
- English terms with rare senses
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms suffixed with -nym