Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To grant citizenship to someone not born a citizen
- To acclimatize an animal or plant
- Its wearer suggested that pears and peaches might yet be naturalized in the New England climate.
- To make natural
- Custom naturalizes labour or study.
- To limit explanations of a phenomenon to naturalistic ones and exclude supernatural ones
- (linguistics) To make (a word) a natural part of the language.
- English speakers have naturalized the French word "café".
In English, foreign words are typically written in italics until they are naturalized.
to grant citizenship
to acclimatize an animal or plant — see acclimatize
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.