Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- (UK) IPA(key): /əˌpɹɒk.sɪˈmeɪ.ʃən/, [əˌpɹɒk.sɪˈmeɪ.ʃn̩]
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /əˌpɹɑk.sɪˈmeɪ.ʃən/, [əˌpɹɑk.sɪˈmeɪ.ʃn̩]
Audio (CA) (file)
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /əˌpɹɔk.sɪˈmæɪ.ʃən/, [əˌpɹɔk.sɪˈmæɪ.ʃn̩]
- (uncountable, countable) The act, process or result of approximating, as:
- 2018, Tsitsi Dangarembga, This Mournable Body, Faber & Faber (2020), page 5:
- At the back of the cupboard, you find your interview skirt, the one you bought when you had cash to purchase an approximation of the fashion spreads you mulled over in magazines.
- (mathematics) An imprecise solution or result that is adequate for a defined purpose.
- (medicine) The act of bringing together the edges of tissue to be sutured.
- Synonym: coaptation
- (linguistics) The act of producing a near-simulation of the pronunciation of a foreign language for a loanword therefrom, or any given pronunciation resulting from that act.
- Hyponym: (misplaced attempt at approximation) hyperforeignism
- For some loanwords borrowed from French into English, the standard English pronunciation is an approximation of the French, as with denoument.
act of approximating
act of bringing together tissues to be sutured
approximation f (plural approximations)
- approximation; an imprecise solution