Jump to navigation Jump to search
patriarchy (plural patriarchies)
- (anthropology, historical) A social system in which the father is head of the household, having authority over women and children, and in which lineage is traced through the male line.
- A power structure in which men are dominant.
- 1929, Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own:
- England is under the rule of a patriarchy.
- (Christianity) The office of a patriarch; a patriarchate.
office of the patriarch — see patriarchate
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked