Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle French persuasif, from Medieval Latin persuāsīvus, from Latin past participle stem of persuādēre + -īvus.
persuasive (comparative more persuasive, superlative most persuasive)
- Able to persuade; convincing.
- Synonyms: convincing, (obsolete) flexanimous, inducing, (rare) inducive, (obsolete, rare) inductious, (obsolete, rare) persuadable, persuading, (now rare) persuasible, (obsolete) pleaful, psychagogic, (rare) psychagogical, (rare) suading, (obsolete, rare) suasorian, (now rare) suasory
- Antonyms: dehortative, dehortatory, dehorting, dissuading, dissuasive, (obsolete) retractive, unconvincing, unpersuasive
- 2020 December 2, Andy Byford talks to Paul Clifton, “I enjoy really big challenges...”, in Rail, page 55:
- But I'm pretty persuasive, and I've learned how elected officials think. I know how to press their buttons.
persuasive (plural persuasives)
- That which persuades; incitement.
- 1839, George Robert Gleig, Germany, Bohemia, and Hungary: Visited in 1837, volume 1, page 68:
- He smiled a very knowing smile, and setting up a halloo, and shaking his leathern thong, away we went at the rate of seven or eight miles an hour. I had no occasion to go further with my persuasives; the pace was kept up, […]
- persuasive at OneLook Dictionary Search
- “persuasive”, in Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster, 1996–present.
- inflection of persuasiv:
- English terms derived from Proto-Indo-European
- English terms derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *sweh₂d-
- English terms derived from Middle French
- English terms derived from Medieval Latin
- English terms derived from Latin
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English adjectives
- English terms with quotations
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- French 3-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French non-lemma forms
- French adjective forms
- German terms with audio links
- German non-lemma forms
- German adjective forms
- Italian non-lemma forms
- Italian adjective forms
- Italian adjective feminine forms
- Italian adjective plural forms