Jump to navigation Jump to search
postfix (plural postfixes)
- (chiefly computing) Suffix.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Parkhurst to this entry?)
- 1843, George Moody, The English journal of education, volume 1, page 69:
- Two, or three at the very most, of the prefixes or postfixes are quite sufficient for one day's lesson.
- 2006, Patrick Blackburn · Johan Bos · Kristina Striegnitz, Learn Prolog Now!, §9.4
- An example of a postfix operator is the ++ notation used in the C programming language to increment the value of a variable.
Postfix is often used in programming or computing, while in the modern era suffix is used elsewhere, especially in linguistics.