Jump to navigation Jump to search
pothunter (plural pothunters)
- A person who hunts animals for food (for the pot) rather than as sport.
- (sports, by extension) A person who competes solely to win prizes.
- (archaeology) A person who seeks artifacts for their personal collection or to sell without regard to their cultural importance.
- 2007 December 12, Anthony Depalma, “An Island in the Hudson, Plundered in Search of Indian Artifacts”, in New York Times:
- But hundreds, perhaps thousands of artifacts have been taken by amateur pothunters, whose activities can disturb the soil and ruin the chance of serious research.