- Engaging in sexual activity with another person for pay.
- 2013 July 29, David Ingram (reporting for Reuters), Howard Goller & Bill Trott (editing for Reuters), “FBI arrests 150 in three days in sex-trafficking sweep”, in news.yahoo.com, retrieved 2013-07-29:
- The FBI typically does not investigate adult prostitution, leaving it as a state and local matter, but in recent years it has made child prostitution a priority in a program the FBI calls Operation Cross Country. The program includes highway billboards asking people to call the FBI with tips.
- Her addiction brought her to the point that prostitution was the only means she had to survive.
- (by extension) Engaging in sexual activity with another person in exchange for goods (not necessarily money) or services.
- (by extension) Debasement for profit or impure motives.
- The television advertising job was a prostitution of the talents of one of the great writers of the century.
The legal definition of prostitution varies, with some jurisdictions defining it as any exchange of sex for any goods or services of real or perceived value, while others limit it to transactions involving actual monetary payment.
prostitution c (singular definite prostitutionen, not used in plural form)
prostitution f (plural prostitutions)