Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Sawyer
- sawier (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɔːjə/, /ˈsɔɪ.ə/
- (US, Northern and Western) IPA(key): /ˈsɔɪ.ɚ/
- (US, Southern) IPA(key): /ˈsɔ.jɚ/
- Rhymes: -ɔɪ.ə(ɹ)
- Homophone: soya
sawyer (plural sawyers)
- One who saws timber, especially in a sawpit.
- (US) A large trunk of a tree brought down by the force of a river's current
- A beetle that lives and feeds on trees, including timber.
- (US, dialect) The bowfin.
one who saws timber