Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A formal name according to an internationally accepted standard, especially the formal name of a taxon:
- Fagaceae is the scientific name for the oak family.
- Panthera leo is the scientific name for the lion.
- 2016, James Lambert, “Ornithonymy and Lexicographical Selection Criteria”, in International Journal of Lexicography, volume 30, number 1, page 39–62:
- From the point of view of biology, a bird has both a scientific name and a common name.
- (formal name): Latin name
- (formal name): common name
- botanical name; zoological name
- binomen, binomial name, binomial, binominal name, binominal; trinomial name