Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -uːt
scoot (plural scoots)
- (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) To walk fast; to go quickly; to run away hastily.
- They scooted over to the window.
- To ride on a scooter.
- (of an animal) To move with the forelegs while sitting, so that the floor rubs against its rear end.
- The dog was scooting all over our new carpet.
1990, Chris C. Pinney, Guide to Home Pet Grooming, page 44:
- If you ever see your dog scooting its hind end along the floor, chances are that anal sac irritation or impaction exists.
1997, J. M. Evans and Kay White, Catopedia:
- What if my cat is biting its tail, scooting or rubbing its bottom on the ground?
2008, Sandy Blackburn, The Everything Dog Grooming Book: All You Need to Help Your Pet Look and Feel Great!, page 62:
- The old wives tale is that a dog that scoots on its rear has worms, but that's rarely the case. Dogs that scoot, lick, or chew underneath their tails usually have anal gland issues.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:scoot.
to walk fast; to go quickly; to run away hastily