Jump to navigation Jump to search
self-styled (not comparable)
- Claimed by the recipient, as a title one gave to oneself.
- Synonyms: self-proclaimed, soi-disant
- This self-styled king of the hill must prove himself before the title has any worth.
- 1847, Emily Chubbuck, Allen Lucas, the Self-made Man, page 152:
- “A more heartfelt word, notwithstanding its playfulness,” said the elder lady, “than some of those self-styled patriots, that come here to give us laws, would pronounce, I have no doubt.”
- 2012 April 23, Angelique Chrisafis, “François Hollande on top but far right scores record result in French election”, in the Guardian:
- Partial results showed Hollande – a former Socialist party leader, rural MP and self-styled Mr Normal – with a clear lead at more than 28%, compared with Sarkozy on 27%.
claimed by the recipient