Jump to navigation Jump to search
sesquialterate (not comparable)
- (mathematics, archaic) In a ratio of three to two, or of one a half to one.
- 9 and 6 are in a sesquialterate ratio.
- 1818, Iamblichus, Life of Pythagoras Tr. Thomas Taylor (page 328)
- the ratio of 3 to 2, which is sesquialter, forms the symphony diapente […]
- 1859, Frances Power Cobbe, An Essay on Intuitive Morals: Being an Attempt to Popularize Ethical Science (page 84)
- People ignorant of geometry did not know the sesquialterate ratio of the sphere, cylinder, and cone, and therefor no man could know it […]
- 1888, Sir Isaac Newton, Portsmouth Collection of Books and Papers Written or Belonging to Sir Isaac Newton (page xviii)
- from Kepler's Rule of the periodical times of the Planets being in a sesquialterate proportion of their distances from the centers of their orbs I deduced […]