Jump to navigation Jump to search
sidelong (not comparable)
- Directed to the side; sideways.
- He cast me a sidelong glance.
- Slanting or sloping; oblique.
- Indirect; suggestive; not straightforward.
- She made some sidelong remarks about his manhood.
- Along the side of something.
- 1961 February, “Talking of Trains: Collision at Newcastle”, in Trains Illustrated, page 76:
- The passenger train was signalled from one of the west end bay platforms along the Down South Line; as it passed through a crossover to the Up South Line the freight train, which had been travelling slowly to the Up South Line, over-ran the signal protecting the crossover and came into sidelong collision with it.
- inside-out (rare, obs.)
- Towards the side; sideways.