slap + -er. For senses 2 and 3, the OED tentatively quotes the Bloomsbury Dictionary of Contemporary Slang: "This working class term from East London and Essex is probably a corruption of shlepper or schlepper, a word of Yiddish origin, one of whose meanings is a slovenly or immoral woman."
Audio (US) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈslæpɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈslæpə/
- Rhymes: -æpə(ɹ)
slapper (plural slappers)
- (countable) One who, or that which, slaps.
- (countable, Britain, Ireland, slang) A prostitute.
- (countable, Britain, Ireland, Australia, slang) A woman of loose morals.
- (countable, slang, archaic) Anything monstrous; a whopper.
- present of