Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Spartan
By analogy with the ancient Spartans, who famously possessed the qualities which "spartan" now describes.
- Austere, frugal, characterized by self-denial.
- I went on the retreat to the monastery, thinking I would be sleeping in a spartan cell, only to discover a simple but comfortable bedroom.
- Resolute in the face of danger or adversity.
- The spartan legionaries vowed to fight to the death.
- Lacking in decoration and luxury.
- After ten years as a fashion designer in the rough-and-tumble Garment District, Eloise left New York for the spartan but serene life of a farmer's wife.
austere, lacking luxury