Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic, intransitive) Become further apart.
- The police spread out to search a wider area.
- (idiomatic, transitive) To place items further apart.
- Spread the cards out and then turn two of them over at random.
In the transitive sense 2, the object may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
to place items further apart
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.