Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (slang, African American Vernacular English) Utterly infatuated with someone; completely taken over by romantic interest.
- (Australia, slang) Caught doing something illegal or against the rules.
- 1979, Gabrielle Carey and Kathy Lette, Puberty Blues, page 46:
- `Sprung!' cried Jeff Basin, the local dubbo.
- (obsolete, nautical, of a spar) cracked or strained.
- (slang, dated) drunk.
- The adjective sprung, unlike (say) infatuated, does not normally take a complement; a person may be infatuated with someone, but is simply sprung. As with crazy or gaga, the target of the emotion is normally indicated by surrounding context; this is seen in the 1992 and 2003 quotations above. However, while relatively uncommon, it is possible for sprung to take a complement, construed with a preposition such as over (much like gaga); this is seen in the 2005 quotation above.