Coined by Gary Larson in 1982. His comic strip shows a caveman giving a lecture illustrating this part of a dinosaur, with the caption "Now this end is called the thagomizer... after the late Thag Simmons". See -ize, -er.
thagomizer (plural thagomizers)
- An arrangement of spikes found on the tails of various stegosaurs.
- 2001, Holtz, Thomas R.; Riley, Terry, The Little Giant Book of Dinosaurs, page 54:
- Like the thagomizer of the stegosaur, the ankylosaurid tail club was probably used to smash into attackers.
- 2008 August 1, Jeffrey, Gary, Stegosaurus: The Plated Dinosaur, Rosen Publishing Group, →ISBN, LCCN 2007050587, OCLC 678490823, OL 25175316M, page 30:
- An Allosaurus backbone had a hole in which a Stegosaurus thagomizer fitted perfectly. Over the years, many of the fossil thagomizers that have been dug up have had broken tips.
For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:thagomizer.