audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: cave‧man
caveman (plural cavemen)
- An early human or closely related species, popularly held to reside in caves.
- The political cartoon showed the politician as a caveman, clubbing the budget depicted as a mammoth.
2006, Harley Pasternak, The 5 Factor Diet, page 15:
- CAVEMAN DIET
- The creators of this nutrition plan believe that cavemen and cavewomen were lean and healthy because of the all-natural foods they ate.
- 2010, Terence A. Shimp, Advertising, Promotion, and Other Aspects of Integrated Marketing Communications, Cengage Learning, 8th Edition, page 154,
- And who could forget those ads that featured sophisticated cavemen who were insulted—in a parody on political correctness—by “insensitive” offenders who implied that some action was “so easy, a caveman could do it.”
2010, Allen A. Debus, Prehistoric Monsters: The Real and Imagined Creatures of the Past That We Love to Fear, page 87:
- For, in essence, the caveman concept implies the abhorrent—undignified human bestiality and a disquieting association with apelike ancestors. Cavemen have represented Darwin′s repugnant evolutionary ideals and even suggest civilisation′s tenuousness.
- (informal, figuratively, pejorative) A brutish or savage person.
- The football squad was comprised of cavemen who were responsible for trashing many a locker room.
- (informal, figuratively, pejorative) A man with old fashioned or backward opinions, particularly with regard to women.
- Old Sven is a bit of a caveman; he figures giving women the right to vote was a bad idea.
- 2008, David E. Clarke, Cinderella Meets the Caveman: Stop the Boredom in Your Marriage and Jump, page 159,
- You think your Caveman is always chasing you for sex. Well, he is.
- (early humans or related species): hominid, hominin, neanderthal, troglodyte
- (brutish or savage person): boor, lout, savage, thug, troglodyte
- (man with regressive opinions): chauvinist
a brutish or savage person
a man with old fashioned or backward opinions, particularly with regard to women