Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (mildly vulgar) Used to indicate emphatic rejection of an assertion.
- A: I can run faster than a horse.
- B: The hell you can!
- (mildly vulgar) Expletive used for emphasis after an interrogative term or relative pronoun.
- 2009 February 19, Gareth Lewis, Southern Daily Echo:
- What the hell was that?
- (rejection): like hell, the hell you say
- (expletive): For semantic relationships of this sense, see the dickens in the Thesaurus.
expletive used for emphasis after an interrogative term