Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- ['ɛɱfəsɪs, 'eɱfəsɪs, 'ɛɱfəsəs, 'eɱfəsəs]
Audio (US) (file)
- Special weight or forcefulness given to something considered important.
- He paused for emphasis before saying who had won.
- Special attention or prominence given to something.
- Anglia TV's emphasis is on Norwich and district.
- Prominence given to a syllable or words, by raising the voice or printing in italic or underlined type.
- He used a yellow highlighter to indicate where to give emphasis in his speech.
- (typography) Related to bold.
special weight or forcefulness given to something considered important
special attention or prominence given to something
prominence given to a syllable or words
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
emphasis f (genitive emphasis); third declension