Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Special weight or forcefulness given to something considered important.
- He paused for emphasis before saying who had won.
- Special attention or prominence given to something.
- Anglia TV's emphasis is on Norwich and district.
- Prominence given to a syllable or words, by raising the voice or printing in italic or underlined type.
- He used a yellow highlighter to indicate where to give emphasis in his speech.
- (typography) Related to bold.
- (phonology) The phonetic or phonological feature that distinguishes emphatic consonants from other consonants
special weight or forcefulness given to something considered important
special attention or prominence given to something
prominence given to a syllable or words
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
emphasis f (genitive emphasis); third declension