Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) A compliment heard about another person, offered to be repeated to that person in exchange for another repeated compliment about the speaker.
- Synonym: (initialism) TL
- 1979, Robert Kirk Mueller, Board Compass, page 102:
- American adolescents regularly deal in "trade-lasts," compliments in exchange for another. They will tell you something flattering about yourself after you tell them a flattering remark you have heard about them.
- 1997, Joan Mellen, Hellman and Hammett, page 71:
- So autobiographical was The Children's Hour that there are even “TL's” between the children, those “trade lasts” in which people must come up with compliments they have heard about each other, a game which amused Lily […]