Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈkɑmpləmənt/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɒmplɪmənt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: complement
compliment (plural compliments)
- An expression of praise, congratulation, encouragement, or respect.
- Tedious waste of time, to sit and hear / So many hollow compliments and lies.
- many a compliment politely penned
- (uncountable) Complimentary language; courtesy, flattery.
- common misconstruction of
- See also Wikisaurus:praise
expression of praise, congratulation or encouragement
- (transitive, intransitive) To pay a compliment (to); to express a favorable opinion (of).
- Monarchs should their inward soul disguise; […] / Should compliment their foes and shun their friends.
- Common misspelling of complement.
to pay a compliment; to express a favorable opinion